On June 17, 2017, we will be hosting a second Charity Pub Quiz for Kumamoto Earthquake Relief. You can read up more on the event here and you can pre-register yourself and your team using this form! Teams of up to four-members are permitted. Don’t have a team? Don’t worry! You can still register a team and we’ll help you find one!
Fun, friends, and facts– and all for a good cause! What more can you ask for?
Voting will be open for one week, until May 15th.
There are two nominees for the FuJET president for the 2017-18 council. The candidate with the most votes will win the presidential seat with the other party eligible for the vice-presidential seat. Before voting, here are their introductions.
Hey everyone! I’m Cormac and I’m hoping to be next year’s FuJET president. Why should you vote for me, you say? Well, I come from Cork in Ireland which is famous for the craic and banter and that’s something I will definitely bring with me to FuJET. I’m a social kind of guy and I love to meet friends new and old and make them feel welcomed. Also, I have a looong history of being involved with stuff that stretches all the way back to my school days so I am well prepared for the ins and outs of committee life. There’s no task too big or problem too small, let’s organising!
Please consider me for your #1 vote this election season 😄
My name is Joseph Schlitz. I am not good at selling myself, but I am pretty cool. In the future I want to be a physicist and work for NASA. In my free time I like to program and cycle. I am easy going, and I approach issues with logic and reason. Also I like memes.
Voting has concluded!
Name: Yumoto Onsen Satsuki Festival
Area: Yumoto, Iwaki
Date: May 2nd (Tuesday) and 3rd (Wednesday)
Address: 〒972-8321 福島県いわき市常磐湯本町三函３２２ (〒 972 – 8321 Fukushima-ken Iwaki-shi Jōban-yumoto-chō san-hako 322)
Details: This two-day festival in Iwaki’s Yumoto Onsen will be held to give thanks for the water that feeds the hot springs. The main festival takes place on the 3rd and will feature six mikoshi that will be carried around the town.
Name: Children’s Festival
Area: Nihonmatsu City
Date: May 3rd (Wednesday) – 5th (Friday)
Address: 二本松市小浜字反町地内 (Nihonmatsu-shi Ohama-ji Sori-machi chi-nai)
Details: This is a traditional festival held to celebrate the healthy growth of children. The festival honors the guardian deity of children in the hopes that it will keep the children healthy in the coming year.
★ 2017-2018 FUJET COUNCIL ELECTIONS ★
NOMINATION DEADLINE: APRIL 16
It’s time for everyone to start thinking about who you want running the FuJET show for the coming year! If someone you know would be great for the job (yourself included!), now’s the chance to get involved!
Candidates wishing to run for the executive positions of president/vice-president (or co-presidents!) are encouraged to find a running mate and campaign together as a team.
- You may nominate yourself, or nominate a friend (with their permission!) by sending an submission with the name of the nominee and the desired position via the form below.
- You must be a current member of the JET Programme who is re-contracting for the 2017-2018 year to run for the president position.
- You may only run for one council position. If a candidate is nominated for two positions, they must choose which position they wish to run for, and may not change their minds once the full list of candidates is announced.
Available council positions are as follows:
- PRESIDENT: Working with the FuJET Council, the President oversees the distribution of information to Fukushima ALTs and CIRs, organises trips and social events throughout the year in order to foster friendships and connections within the local community, and welcomes new JETs at both the Tokyo Orientation and Fukushima Orientation.
- VICE-PRESIDENT/(SECRETARY): Works with the president in the smooth running of FuJET, and assists with all associated duties. (Depending on conditions/needs, there is sometimes a secretary position instead of/in addition to the vice-president to help ease the load of the FuJET team)
- TREASURER: The FuJET Treasurer works with the FuJET Council to administer and supervise the FuJET budget, including all financial transactions. Payments made to FuJET for trips and social events are handled by the Treasurer through the FuJET bank account. The Treasurer also has a supervisory role in FuJET on matter pertaining to the function and productivity of the current council.
- WEBMASTER/MISTRESS: The Webmaster designs, manages and updates all of the FuJET-related websites. Other duties include IT support for the FuJET Council, database backups and finding web, hardware and software solutions for FuJET. The webmaster will need skills in HTML, CSS, SQL, and wiki markup.
- NEWS EDITOR: The News Editor manages the FuJET social media accounts in addition to sharing local events via the monthly article series, the Lucky Island. In addition, the News Editor also writes and edits articles for the the FuJET sites.
- VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR: The Volunteer Coordinator communicates with volunteer organisations and coordinates fundraising and volunteer activities in and around Fukushima prefecture. To encourage grassroots internationalisation opportunities for Fukushima ALTs and CIRs and their Japanese communities, the Volunteer Coordinator is the main source of information for local volunteering opportunities.
As always, we welcome any questions you may have. Just direct your emails to the FuJET team at <firstname.lastname@example.org> or PM me, and I’ll do our best to fill you in on anything you want to know! Remember, FuJET council can be a huge commitment of time and money (and sometimes sanity) but it’s part of the reason the Fuku-Family is so great. ^^-kris
*Nominations are now closed!*
Name: Iizaka Onsen Music Festival
Area: Iizaka Onsen, Fukushima City
Date: Saturday, April 1st
Address: Iizaka Onsen Station: 〒960-0201 福島県福島市飯坂町字十綱下28 (Fukushima-ken Fukushima-shi Iizaka-cho Ji-totsunashita)
Details: A music festival in the Iizaka Onsen area of Fukushima City on April 1st. 34 bands over 6 stages, all within walking distance of Iizaka Onsen Station. Advance tickets are 4000 yen, or 4500 yen on the day (and includes two tickets for local onsens that can be used any time in April).
Name: Nihonmatsu Cherry Blossom Viewing
Area: Nihonmatsu City
Date: Saturday, April 8th
Address: Nihonmatsu Castle Park: 〒964-0904 福島 県 二本松 市 郭 内 ３ 丁目 ２ (Fukushima-ken Nihonmatsu-shi Kaku-uchi 3-chome 2)
Details: Nihonmatsu is hosting a hanami at the castle park on April 8th. It’s a fun day, and it’s walkable from the station. Please do come join us if you have time! It starts from 12 ish and runs until 5, there is also parking at the castle!